The 2am phone call that changed everything in Arsenal’s £45m Thomas Partey transfer

Arsenal’s 2am phone call ‘changed everything’ in the Thomas Partey deal.

Partey completed his £45million deal to Arsenal with just minutes to spare on transfer deadline day.

The deal looked as though it wouldn’t happen with Arsenal failing to meet the midfielder’s release clause for the majority of the window.

But according to Marca, a phone call at 2am on Sunday morning suddenly put a deal in motion.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Click to play
Tap to play

The video will start in8Cancel

Play now

The Spanish outlet claim Arsenal phone Partey’s representatives early on Sunday morning, putting them and indeed Partey ‘on the spot’ before activating his release clause the next day.

Partey is said to have gone to sleep on Sunday night fully expecting his spell at Atletico Madrid to continue.

But overnight, his fate changed and Saturday’s goalless draw with Villarreal proved to be his final game with Los Colchineros.

Why should you sign up?

In each Arsenal bulletin, we’ll be bringing you the latest breaking news, transfer features and comment pieces, as well as the key talking points for fans.

We’ll also send special newsletters when big stories break or there’s a special event happening.

How do you sign up?

It’s easy and only takes seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article – or any article on the Arsenal section of in fact – labelled ‘Get the biggest daily stories by email’ and click ‘Subscribe’.

And that’s it, you’re all set.

If you decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails, simply follow the unsubscribe link in one of the newsletters – but we don’t think you’ll want to.

For more details, click here.

The lateness of the deal is said to have left Atletico Madrid furious, especially because they were not informed the release clause had been activated until 32 minutes before the deadline.

As is the case for all players in La Liga, the…