Mesut Ozil’s situation at Arsenal should have been resolved two years ago, according to super-agent Kia Joorabchian.
The 31-year-old continues to be linked with a move away from the Gunners this summer, although his agent agent, Erkut Sogut, has already said that a decision on his future won’t be made until some point in 2021, and insists he won’t be leaving the club this summer.
And selling Ozil is easier said than done, mainly because of his £350,000-a-week contract which he signed during Arsene Wenger’s final season as manager.
Click to play
Tap to play
The video will start in8Cancel
That decision was made official in February 2018, and Joorabchian has suggested the current situation that Ozil currently finds himself in could have been avoided by not offering him a new deal.
“The Ozil situation should have been resolved two years ago, “Joorabchian said on talkSPORT. “What is the point of a player sitting there and not playing.”
Ozil has fallen out of favour under head coach Mikel Arteta since football resumed in June.
Last week reports claimed he has been offered a massive £15million-a-year contract by Saudi Arabian side Al-Nassr, to leave the Premier League in favour of leaving Europe altogether.
Although, he did make a return to action at the weekend as Arsenal were beaten 3-2 by Aston Villa in a behind-closed-doors friendly at the Emirates Stadium.
But whether he makes the matchday squad for Saturday’s Premier League opener against Fulham remains to be seen.
Amid talk that Ozil could indeed feature at Craven Cottage, some Arsenal fans have shared their thoughts on Arteta’s reported decision.
Full story here.
Joorabchian also had an update on Philippe Coutinho – a player who had been tipped for a move to the Emirates Stadium as a potential replacement for Ozil as the creative midfielder Arteta needs.
“Yeah. Koeman called him…